Once you officially recite the Shahada (the first Pillar of Islam), then, it is mandatory to fully devote your life to the teachings of Islam.
The Shahada –
“Ash-hadu Al-laaa Ilaaha Illa-llaahu Wahdahoo Laa Shareeka Lahoo Wa-Ash-hadu Anna Muhammadan ‘Abduhoo Wa Rasooluhu.”
“I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One alone, without partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger”
It means, you need to believe there is no God but Allah SWT, the creator of the entire universe. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the final messenger of Allah SWT, on earth.
Why do Non-Muslims convert to Islam?
- They admire the Islamic way of life
- Have a sense of belonging to the Muslim community
- They get intrigued by the values and relationships in Islam
- Get motivated after reading and studying religious scriptures
- They realize that the belief and teachings of Islam are more meaningful
- Discover the truth in Islam and find answers related to personal growth
Converting to Islam for marriage also called ‘reverting’ causes the Muslim ummah to accept you as though you were born as a Muslim.
When you convert to Islam then you get eligible to sign the marriage certificate. According to Islam, marriage is when a legal contract signed between a woman and a man. Both the bride and the groom should have consent to marriage based on free will.
Based on Islamic teachings, faith is the first aspect that you should consider while choosing your significant other. A faithful partner has a crucial role to play in helping you to have a prosperous life. On the basis of the Holy Quran, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) put a lot of emphasis on a person’s manners and personality for fulfilling the criteria of marriage.
In the Quran, it clearly mentions –
“Do not marry idolatresses until they embrace faith. A faithful slave girl is better than an idolatress, though she should impress you. And do not marry [your daughters] to idolaters until they embrace faith…” (2: 221)
So, you should not make any compromise when it comes to fulfilling the conditions of marriage in Islam. The phrase, “until they embrace faith” means marriage with infidels is strictly prohibited. Marriage is only permissible if the individual has embraced Islam. Hence, neither is a man permitted to marry an idolatress nor is it permissible for a Muslim woman to marry an idolater.
What’s the Nikkah Ceremony?
This is the Muslim marriage ceremony. According to Islamic tradition, the contract that is signed during the marriage is the nikkah. During this event, the bride and the groom place their vows by saying,
➤ Know more about the Etiquettes of Islamic marriage
Why Islam puts so much emphasis on Marriage?
- It is mandatory to pass on Islamic teaching to our next generation.
- It is a bond not just between two individuals, rather, it is a bond between two families.
- Marriage is a Sunnah according to our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), in Islam, so he encouraged others to get married.
- Marriage makes a human being complete. Our prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said
“No house is built more beloved in the sight of Allah SWT than the one through marriage.”
Benefits of converting to Islam for Marriage
- Couples are able to achieve inner peace, happiness & tranquility through marriage. Allah SWT said
“He has put between your affection and mercy”
- Islam consists of answers to difficult situations and it helps couples to take the right steps during all aspects of their lives.
- One is able to develop a stronger personal relationship with Allah SWT. This helps spouses immensely in their conjugal life.
- The bride and the groom can mutually agree upon their purpose in life. They can acknowledge Allah SWT and follow the teaching of Islam.
- A righteous wife is a better provision during worldly life. Our prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said
“This world is but provision, and there is no provision in this world better than a righteous wife.”
Converting to Islam and what to expect?
Individuals who convert to Islam need to understand that marriage is the building block of life. The contract signed while getting married is known as Nikkah.
The purpose of marriage for Muslims should be:
- Being faithful and supporting each other for the entirety of their lives.
- Bringing up children by instilling and educating about the teaching of Islam.
The necessity of getting married is mentioned in the holy Quran numerous times. Muslims are ought to believe this, since this is the word of Allah SWT. Also, it was emphasized by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Hence, Muslims are supposed to follow these teachings when it comes to marriage.
“And among His signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may dwell in peace and tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts).” (30:21)
To conclude, in Islam, religion and faith plays a crucial role when it comes to choosing a future spouse. Because, the goal of marriage is lasting salvation in the earthly world and also in the hereafter. Considering the verdicts of Islamic jurists, it is permissible for an individual to convert and know how to convert to Islam for marriage.
Converting to Islam for Marriage depends on how sincere your intentions are. Also, if you are ready to work in line by following the teachings of Islam.