In the age of social media and readily available internet connectivity, sinning has become a norm for Muslims. This is why it is obligatory for Muslims to recite Islamic dua to stop bad habits, throughout the day. We have developed the habit of performing bad deeds in our daily lives. As we’ve become addicted to performing bad deeds, it has hardened our hearts.
Performing the five obligatory prayers in the congregation can help you to minimize the constant urge of performing bad deeds. Reciting the holy Qur’an can also prevent you from performing bad deeds. In the course of this article, we are going to discuss some Wazifa, surah and Islamic dua that will make it easier for you to stop your bad habits.
Wazifa for removing bad habits
There are many Wazifa that will help you avoid bad thoughts and control temptations. Bad habits are considered as negative behavioural patterns. If you continuously perform bad deeds, then, it will become a habit. Chances are, it will become extremely difficult for you to steer clear or quit bad habits altogether.
Muslim Life Partner?
This is why it is crucial that you perform certain Islamic Wazifa for removing bad habits. Performing these Islamic Wazifa will help you in controlling your nafs.
1. Start by performing the obligatory Asr Fard prayer.
2. Next, you have to recite the Durood Shareef, a total of 9 times.
|اَللّٰھُمَّ صَلِّ عَلٰی مُحَمَّدٍ وَّعَلٰٓی اٰلِ مُحَمَّدٍ کَمَا صَلَّیْتَ عَلٰٓی اِبْرَاھِیْمَ وَعَلٰٓی اٰلِ اِبْرَاھِیْمَ اِنَّکَ حَمِیْدٌ مَّجِیْدٌ اَللّٰھُمَّ بَارِکْ عَلٰی مُحَمَّدٍ وَّعَلٰٓی اٰلِ مُحَمَّدٍ کَمَا بَارَکْتَ عَلٰٓی اِبْرَاھِیْمَ وَعَلٰٓی اٰلِ اِبْرَاھِیْمَ اِنَّکَ حَمِیْدٌ مَّجِیْدٌ|
|O Allah, let Your Blessings come upon Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) and the family of Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), as you have blessed Ibrahim and his family. Truly, you are Praiseworthy and Glorious. Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad, as you have blessed Ibrahim and his family. Truly, you are Praiseworthy and Glorious.|
3. You must recite for 11 days continuously, a total of 864 times, Allah’s name –
4. Lastly, you need to recite the Durood Shareef, again, a total of 9 times.
You will need to perform this Wazifa, without a miss, for a total of 11 days. However, if you still face difficulty removing your bad deeds, then, carry out this Wazifa for another 10 to 20 days. You must always maintain a strong resolve to break free from the shackles of bad habits.
5. Moreover, it is also important that you recite the 8th verse from Surah Al Imran. Then you must make supplication with pure intentions in your heart. You need to perform this after every Fard salah on a daily basis. This will undoubtedly help in removing all your bad habits.
6. It should be obligatory for you as a Muslim to continuously Zikr Allah’s name, at all times. This will make sure to erase and wipe out the blackness within your heart. Reciting the Almighty’s name consistently will fill your heart with light.
How to stop haram habits?
There are many harmful habits that Muslims have become accustomed to these days, some of these includes:
- Masturbation – This is sometimes known as the “secret habit”. As a Muslim, you do not have to make any additional vows when it comes to giving up such lewd & illicit acts. Masturbation is an act that Allah SWT has strictly forbidden for all men and women. This itself should be sufficient for him/her to make him/her give up such acts.
- Consuming drugs – Islam clearly states that all Muslims are born having a built-in conscience known as “fitnah”. You can consider this as a radar for Muslims that can detect good & bad. As people age, the fitnah within Muslims does not tend to be intact and they end up performing acts such as consuming illegal substances.
Individuals who are stressed out, turn to drugs as a way of relieving that stress. However, you should always keep in mind that this should never be the case. If you feel stressed out then either praying nafl salah or reciting the name of Allah SWT will guarantee to reduce your stress.
- Watching pornography – High-speed internet has made for easily accessible for everyone. If you ever feel overwhelmed by the thought of consuming porn, then remember Allah SWT is always watching. Make sure to turn to Allah SWT and pray if you ever have the urge to watch pornography.
You can repent, ask for forgiveness and pray to Allah so that can gather the strength to resist such unlawful urges.
How to avoid haram thoughts?
You must acknowledge the fact that there is a connection between your brain, mind & actions. The are 4 golden rules that you may adopt in order to counter-attack the rising immodesty of the secular culture.
It is of utmost importance that you learn to train your brain to prevent sending haram thoughts to your mind.
1. Relabel your thoughts: Whenever you have bad thoughts, you must not fanaticize and acknowledge your cravings. Rather, you must tell yourself, that this is satan’s doing and it will pass if you seek the help of Allah SWT. However, similar unlawful thoughts may return to you. In that case, you need to adopt a similar approach.
2. Reattribute your thoughts: You need to understand and identify the source of your impure thought and tell yourself,
“This sinful thought is coming from my brain and it is a false message. I cannot surrender to my desires; this is because the message is being sent by satan”
If you are capable of controlling your nafs by doing this, every time a sinful thought comes to your mind, then, you will surely weaken the intensity of your lustful thoughts. You must always persevere against temptations, otherwise; you’ll be a slave to your desires and a prisoner of your cravings.
3. Refocus your thoughts: There may be times when your impure thoughts can be overwhelming. However, you need to be mentally strong and not give in. Doing this will make such illicit thoughts go away.
It is advisable that you perform Salatul Hajah for minor and major purification. Also, you may go for a walk or perform physical exercises, such as; push-ups. This will undoubtedly help deviate your mind from haram thoughts.
4. Revalue your thoughts: When you’ve managed to get over the temptation, then, you must reflect on the times when you gave in to temptations and haram thoughts. If you evaluate your thoughts, then, you will get to understand how guilty and dissatisfied you felt after sinning.
You must always remember that the temptation may give you false hope of freedom. However, you will never truly get freedom no matter how much you respond to haram’s thoughts.
Dua for negative feelings
We are faced with adversity and challenges throughout our lives, this is what leads us to have negative feelings. Allah SWT tests our resolve during tough times. How we react & respond when we’ve negative feelings is one of the easiest ways to differentiate between a mu’min and a kafir.
This is exactly why, as a mu’min, you need to recite certain dua when you have negative feelings. Upon reciting such dua, Allah SWT will undoubtedly make things, a lot easier for you.
|اللّٰهُمَّ إنِّي أَعُوْذُ بِكَ مِنْ هَمٍّ يَّحْزُنُنِي وَمِنْ فِكْرِ يُقْلِقُنِيْ وَعِلْماً يُّتعِبُنِيْ وَشَخْصًا يَّحْمِلُ خُبْثًا لِّي|
|Oh Allah! I seek your shelter from worries that sadden me, thoughts that make me restless, information that bothers me, and people that intend bad for me.|
You must also recognize what’s diverting your thoughts towards that’s causing negative feelings. If you feel the people around you and your surrounding is the reason behind your negative feelings, then, take a break and go on a gateway to some other place.
Adopting a haram lifestyle is also one of the primary reasons for having negative feelings. We all are influenced by what we see on social media, this is exactly why we should limit the usage of social media sites.
How to avoid negative thoughts in Islam?
Wiping out negative thoughts and emotions requires strong willpower and Tawakkul in Allah SWT. If you have constant negative thoughts, then, this will end up affecting your overall health. Your body will become frail & sore with the progression of time.
Here are 5 effective methods that will help you to avoid negative thoughts:
1. Perform Dhikr on a daily basis
Dhikr can be considered as food for your heart. If you’ve never done dhikr, then you can rest assured that your heart has remained like soil that has never been exposed to rain. Instead of listening to songs or spending time on social media on your gadgets, you should perform dhikr during your leisure time.
If you simply remember the names of Allah SWT, then, this will do wonders when it comes to avoiding negative thoughts from your heart.
2. Spend your leisure time reading Islamic books
You will find many Islamic books that will not enhance your Islamic knowledge, but also help you in self-development. Reading Islamic books is a great way to avoid unwanted negative thoughts.
Also, reading Islamic books would mean you’re more likely to spend your leisure time in reading the Holy Qur’an and other religious scriptures for Muslims. This is the best method of revitalizing your soul, which will ensure that you are able to avoid unnecessary negative thoughts.
3. Pray tahajjud at least three to four times a week
Tahajjud prayer is not a part you the 5 obligatory prayers. However, it is said that if you make dua during the tahajjud prayer, Allah SWT will not reject it. Rather, the dua that you make during your tahajjud prayer is like an arrow that never misses its target.
You will see the results for yourself if you pray tahajjjud for at least four to five times a week. It is said that tahajjud prayer is most effective if you pray it in the last quarter of the night. This is because Allah SWT comes down to earth to listen to the prayers of his servant.
If you make it a habit of performing tahajjud prayer, then, this would lighten the burden within your heart, illuminate your face and make everything easier for you.
4. Make a habit of reciting the holy Qur’an every day
If you ever need a guide in life, as a Muslim, then, know that the holy Qur’an is sufficient for you. The Qur’an can be considered a complete way of life. Whenever your heart feels heavy, nothing in the world can be as soothing as reciting a few verses of the Qur’an.
|وَمَنۡ اَحۡسَنُ قَوۡلًا مِّمَّنۡ دَعَاۤ اِلَى اللّٰهِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحًا وَّقَالَ اِنَّنِىۡ مِنَ الۡمُسۡلِمِيۡ|
|And who is fairer in speech than he who calls to Allah and acts righteously and says: “I am a Muslim”?36|
– Surah Fussilat – 41:33
5. Prevent yourself from consuming negative content
TV and print media are full of worldly conflicts, such as; robbery, war & murder. If you are constantly exposed to such negative content, then, this will infiltrate your heart. This has a detrimental effect on your mood.
Therefore; it is best that you steer clear of such content and rather spend your time reciting the holy Qur’an, reading other Islamic scriptures or performing dhikr.
Islamic Dua To Stop Bad Habits
In this era of high-speed internet, it’s very easy to get addicted to bad habits or bad thoughts. Bad thoughts or negative thinking can cross our minds at any time. So we need to understand how we can change these thoughts or make them have less of an effect on us.
Now a day our Muslim society, mostly young people are getting affected by bad things like drugs, alcohol, gambling, cigarettes, etc. Our thoughts, emotions and behaviours all are linked, so if you think bad thoughts have crossed your mind then Allah will help you to keep you away from all sorts of troubles, he will protect you In sha Allah. There are many dua in the Quran that gives us a way to deal with such circumstances. You can follow the below methods:
- One of the ways is to recite “AstagFirullah, SubhanAllah, Alhumdulilah and Allahu Akbar” 100 times daily. With this, you need to maintain the purity of the mind and body.
If you are facing some tough situation already then increase the frequency of the dua to five times daily.
- Start reciting the holy Quran daily, it will calm your mind and thoughts. This will bring you happiness.
Dua for anxiety, worry and distress
|اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَ الْحَزَنِ ، والْعَجْزِ ، والْكَسَلِ ، والْبُخْلِ ، والْجُبْنِ ، وضَلَعِ الدَّيْنِ ، وغَلَبَةِ الرِّجَالِ|
|allaa-humma innee a‛oodhu bika mi-nal-ham-mi wal-ḥazan, wal-‛ajzi wal-kasal, wal-bukhli wal-jubn, wa ḍa-la‛id-dai-ni, wa ghalaba-tir-rijaal|
|O Allah, I seek refuge with You from anxiety, sorrow, weakness, laziness, miserliness, cowardice, and the burden of debts and from being overpowered by men.|
Performing such a dua to get rid of negative thoughts can make your mind fill up with positive energy and you will succeed to overcome any of the bad thoughts.
How can I stop my bad habit in Islam?
Negative and unwelcoming thoughts have the ability to drag you down and can even lead you toward bad habits. Your mind has the power to control your thoughts. It’s all up to you whether to accept them or avoid them.
Distraction can help you change your bad habit. stop fearing things you cannot control try to distract your mind, do something else like reading an Islamic book, talking with people about the solutions and most important try to get closer to Allah Almighty.
You have to realize your own mistakes and curb your bad habits. If you can realize your mistakes only, then you can repent and ask forgiveness from Allah.
It won’t be an easy journey to start but do not demotivate yourself. Try harder to overcome all of your flaws or bad habits. In sha Allah you will succeed because Allah SWT helps the one who can help themselves.
How can I change my life for better in Islam?
We can change our life for the better and be a better version of ourselves. Allah SWT has shown us the ways with Quran. Here’s what we can do to become a better people by following the teachings of Islam:
- Don’t just say, have the courage and will to change. Because when there’s a will there’s a way. Seek the help of Allah SWT for every step you take.
- Remove all forms of jealousy from your mind. This can damage the relationships you have created with love.
- Follow the guidance of our Prophet Muhammad (SAW) to change your life for the better.
- If you are lazy and making some excuses, then the loss is all yours. Stop making excuses you should not blame anyone for your mistakes. Make your own effort to change and become better according to Islam.
- Perform the daily prayer and recite the Holy Quran daily. This will help bring significant change to you.
Surah for negative thoughts
All humans experience all sorts of negative thoughts during the course of their lifetime. Negative thoughts give rise to emotions such as; sadness, grief, etc. Even the prophets and their companions experienced negative emotions. So, it absolutely necessary that you make a habit of reciting certain surahs on a daily basis.
There are certain verses within the Holy Qur’an that act as a remedy for emotions such as sadness & grief. Your mental and physical health is directly related, hence there exists the mind-body connection. If you require healing, then, there’s no better remedy than the holy Qur’an.
|وَلَوْ جَعَلْنَـٰهُ قُرْءَانًا أَعْجَمِيًّۭا لَّقَالُوا۟ لَوْلَا فُصِّلَتْ ءَايَـٰتُهُۥٓ ۖ ءَا۬عْجَمِىٌّۭ وَعَرَبِىٌّۭ ۗ قُلْ هُوَ لِلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ هُدًۭى وَشِفَآءٌۭ ۖ وَٱلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ فِىٓ ءَاذَانِهِمْ وَقْرٌۭ وَهُوَ عَلَيْهِمْ عَمًى ۚ أُو۟لَـٰٓئِكَ يُنَادَوْنَ مِن مَّكَانٍۭ بَعِيدٍۢ|
|And if We had made it a foreign (i.e., in a language other than Arabic) Qur’an, they would indeed have said, “Had its ayat (Verses, signs) been expounded? A foreign (tongue) and an Arab (Messenger)?” Say,” To the ones who have believed it is a guidance and a cure; and the ones who do not believe, in their ears is an obstruction, and for them, it is blindness; those are called out from a place far (away).”|
– Surah Fussilat – 41:44
Surahs that act as remedies for sadness, grief, etc are as follows:
1. Surah Al Kahf – 18:10
|إِذْ أَوَى ٱلْفِتْيَةُ إِلَى ٱلْكَهْفِ فَقَالُوا۟ رَبَّنَآ ءَاتِنَا مِن لَّدُنكَ رَحْمَةًۭ وَهَيِّئْ لَنَا مِنْ أَمْرِنَا رَشَدًۭا |
|When retreated the youths to the cave, and they said, “Our Lord! Grant us from Yourself Mercy, and facilitate for us [from] our affair (in the) right way.”|
2. Surah Ar Rahman – 55:51
|فَبِأَىِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ |
|So, which (of the) favours (of) your Lord will you both deny?|
3. Surah Yusuf – 12:86
|قَالَ إِنَّمَآ أَشْكُوا۟ بَثِّى وَحُزْنِىٓ إِلَى ٱللَّهِ وَأَعْلَمُ مِنَ ٱللَّهِ مَا لَا تَعْلَمُونَ|
|He said, “I only complain of my suffering and my grief to Allah, and I know from Allah that which you do not know.|
4. Surah An Nas – 114:1
|قُلْ أَعُوذُ بِرَبِّ ٱلنَّاسِ |
|Say, “I seek refuge in (the) Lord (of) mankind|
If you recite Islamic dua to stop bad habits while having pure intentions in your heart, then, Allah SWT will undoubtedly guide you towards the righteous path. No mu’min wants to perform bad deeds if they have the slightest bit of love for Allah. So, as a Muslim, you must take all necessary steps to curb out all forms of bad habits. Bad habits not only cause sinning, but it also takes you further away from your loved ones. This is because it hardens your heart as satan continuously lures you towards unlawful acts. Therefore, you must contemplate and turn back to Allah by constantly reciting Islamic dua before it’s too late.